The Henry Hall Wilson House was built in 1926-1927 by Charlotte architect Louis D. Sutherland for John
C. Sikes, an attorney in Monroe, NC.
The Sikes mansion was the setting for many gala social occasions
in the late twenties and early thirties. Extensive use was made of the third floor ballroom and the outdoor gardens
During WWII, Mrs. Sikes rented rooms to army soldiers from nearby Camp Sutton,
which is now the site of Carolinas Medical Center Union. The house was sold in 1973 to the great-nephew of John Sikes;
Mr. Henry Hall Wilson.
Henry Hall Wilson was born in Monroe, NC and attended Duke University where
he received his A.B. degree in 1942. His university studies were interrupted by wartime service in the U.S. Army, which
he left as a first lieutenant in 1946. Following the war, he returned to Duke University, where he received his L.L.B.
in 1948. He then returned to Monroe and set up his law practice, which he maintained until 1961. During this time
hew was very active in Democratic politics. He served three terms in the NC legislature from 1953 to 1959. In
1956 he became acquainted with John F. Kennedy. Four years later, after being influential in John F. Kennedy's presidential
campaign, the newly elected president asked Wilson to join his staff as the liaison between the White House and the House
of Representatives in 1961. After Kennedy's death, Wilson continued in the White House staff capacity for President
Johnson until 1967.
The current owners, Col. Donnie B. Jordan (USMC Retired) and his wife Betty
A. Jordan, continue on with the history of the house, by making new memories and booking the house for weddings, anniversaries,
and political events.