HISTORY OF THE HENRY HALL WILSON HOUSE
The Henry Hall Wilson House, which is on the national historic registry, was built in 1926-1927 by Charlotte architect
Louis D. Sutherland for John C. Sikes, an attorney in Monroe, NC.
The Sikes mansion was the
setting for many gala social occasions in the late twenties and early thirties. Extensive use was made of the third floor
ballroom and the outdoor gardens for entertaining.
During WWII Mrs. Sikes rented rooms
to army officers from nearby Camp Sutton which is now the site of Carolinas Medical Center Union.
The House was sold in
193 to the great-nephew of John Sikes, Mr. Henry Hall Wilson.
Henry Hall Wilson was
born in Monroe and attended Duke University where he received his A.B. degree in 1942. His university
studies were interrupted by war time service in the U.S. Army, which he left as a First Lieutenant in 1946. Following
the war he returned to Duke where he received his L.L.B. in 1948. Then he returned to Monroe and set up his law
practice, which he maintained until 1961. During this time he was very active in Democratic Politics. He served
three terms in the NC Legislature from 1953 to 1959. In 1956 he became acquainted with John F. Kennedy. Four years later,
after being influential in John F. Kennedy's Presidential Campaign, the newly elected president asked Wilson to
join his staff as the liaison between the White House and The House Of Representatives in 1961. After Kennedy's death Wilson
continued in the same White House staff capacity for President Johnson until 1967.